- Are you looking to improve your MMA and martial arts athleticism and strength?
- Are you ready to enhance your MMA fight skills for grappling and striking?
- Are you ready to make your body more bulletproof from injury?
- Are you interested in building some real world strength for serious fitness and fight performance?
I have been fortunate in my lifetime to train in the martial art of Muay Thai under one of the best fighters…my friend and Kru Jeff Perry. Jeff is retired from Muay Thai now, but is still very much a human weapon. I also had the honor of programming Jeff’s MMA workouts for his national title fight to defend his U.S. title belt back in 2003.
Since then both Jeff and myself have helped to train several Thai and MMA fighters for competition over the years. I genuinely love helping fighters get an advantage putting them through my system and today I want to share with you a few MMA workout strategies to help you elevate your fight game and supercharge your performance in the ring!
MMA Workout Strategies
Strength and conditioning is a science, but it’s not an exact science…at least not in all aspects. The reason I say this is because there are no fixed variables of one size fits all when it comes to dialing in a fight athlete’s fitness and athleticism when involving the fine tweaks.
With that being said when it comes to overall principle and strategy of your approach there are strategies that serve as constants when it comes to elevating your performance for MMA and other martial arts. I want to outline some of those effective strategies for you here today.
1) Get Proficient Training With Kettlebells: Kettlebell training is one powerful approach to help you to develop strength, mobility, and athleticism. In terms of it’s versatility there is nothing that compares to the kettlebell aside from your own body resistance. It’s like adding Michael Jordan to your backyard pick up game to basketball. It almost isn’t fair because it’s so good. There’s a reason this strength training device has been around for literally hundreds of years.
With varied movements using the kettlebell you can train athletically specific movements to enhance your MMA fight skills for both striking and grappling. For instance, if you’re wanting to enhance your grappling strength and your ground agility then performing some get ups with the kettlebell is phenomenal for improving your ground game.
Likewise, if you’re wanting to improve your striking skills by developing greater hand speed for punching and foot speed for kicking then you can simply add in some kettlebell swings and snatches. The kettlebell will get your body dialed in for fight performance and I’ve only touched the tip of the iceberg here in terms of our strategy.
2) Incorporate HIIT Workouts: High Intensity Interval Training (or HIIT) is a tremendous way for you to train to blast through conditioning plateaus, enhance your athleticism, and increase your overall cardiovascular work capacity. HIIT (pronounced “hit”) involves you performing an exercise, or certain exercises with as much speed and effort as possible.
HIIT workouts demand a high level of stress and are great for helping you to stress your muscular and cardiovascular limits to torch body fat and to speed up your recovery after a bout of intense work. You can see how this would be advantageous to your MMA workout strategies.
Of course I offer complete 30, 90, and 120 Day training programs for all of this, but a great example of a HIIT workout would be if you performed an all out sprint for 20 seconds and took a rest for only 10 seconds before the next bout. This would be what is more specifically known as a Tabata style HIIT workout, but it is only type of HIIT workout you can add to your conditioning arsenal.
3) Do Calisthenics And Bodyweight: The Greek word Kallos means perfect, or good. The Greek word Sthenos means strength. Kallos Sthenos is the origin from which the word Calisthenics comes from.
These exercises typically involve you performing bodyweight strength movements in a rhythmic and seamless way to enhance your strength, flexibility, and your overall cardiovascular work capacity. Calisthenics will improve your psychomotor skills such as your balance, coordination, and agility which are all essential for MMA and fight skills!
A good example of some calisthenics would be burpees, jumping, or swinging your body up onto a bar or another elevated surface. If you’re wanting to step up your MMA and martial arts skills make sure you start programming in some calisthenics.
Let’s face it, if you’re looking to catch your opponent off guard and blast them into next week then you’ve got to be able to move with speed and produce force rapidly for powerfully devastating strikes. Plyometrics are the best option for helping you to hone your athletic skills to help you to do just that.
Plyometrics involve movements that include skipping, sprinting, jumping, bounding, and hopping. Plyometrics can also involve upper body movements such as you would see with the plyometric push up. I enjoy programming these to be done off the side of a bench for a quick transition to a power move to improve upper body power and hand speed.
MMA Workout Strategies: The Takeaway
When formulating your MMA strength and conditioning program you want to make sure that you’re well rounded in your approach so that you don’t neglect to address all of the athletic variables that are necessary to optimize your fitness and performance in the ring. Let’s face it, when going up against another human being that is trying to take your head off you want to be at your absolute physically.
Are you currently well rounded and implement all 4 of these strategies in your current MMA workouts?
What elements of training are you currently including in your own MMA workouts for strength and conditioning?
Please post up and share below here in the comments.
You can tie some of these elements together by getting my brand new 30 Introductory HIIT Workouts training program right here. I guarantee these workouts will transform you MMA performance conditioning.
Click on image below
Also if you want to get my 30 Introductory HIIT Workouts along with the rest of my 30 Day programs at nearly 50% OFF and really learn how to tie these together then make sure you check out my brand new discounted 180 Day MMA Strength And Conditioning Bundle right here below! I guarantee it’ll get you into the best shape of your life, or I’ll give you your money back no questions asked.
It’s changing lives already!
Also for your strength training needs…
Get ONNIT Weighted Vest Here (Click On Image):